valPure Acrylic Coatings
Sherwin-Williams offers a number of high-performance acrylic-based solutions for the interior of beverage and food drawn and ironed (D&I) cans.
Download Our valPure Bulletin Here
The valPure V40 Series continues the Sherwin-Williams legacy of innovation for two-piece beverage cans.
The V40 series has excellent application for two-piece beverage inside spray on a wide range of can-making lines and has broad beverage pack performance. It is retortable, acid resistant and hot fillable. Commercialized globally, the V40 series is a non-BPA* technology, and it is acrylamide-free to meet current California Proposition 65 standards.
Our patented water-based acrylic products for food D&I cans offer a balance of flexibility and pack performance. Acrylics for food D&I cans are available in gold, gray and clear and are suitable for a range of products including soups, vegetable, broth and nutritional beverages.
The Sherwin-Williams product development framework, called Safety by Design, is modeled after the preclinical pharmaceutical safety evaluation process. Sherwin-Williams acrylic technologies were reviewed in the Safety by Design framework.
valPure coating solutions for the following end uses:
|Segment||Coated Side||Chemistry||Color||Application||Substrate||Key Attributes|
|2PC Beverage Can||Interior||Water-based||Clear||Spray||Aluminum||Excellent CO2 retention properties to preserve freshness and taste, outstanding performance under demanding retort applications at lower film weights and the flexibility to protect cans from the rigors of distribution and handling from the production line to the consumer|
|D&I Food Cans||Interior||Water-based||Gold||Spray||ETP||Suitable for vegetables, nutritional beverages and some soups|
|D&I Food Cans||Interior||Water-based||Gray||Spray||ETP||Recommended for pet food, chicken broth and other meat release end uses|
|D&I Food Cans||Exterior||Water-based||Clear||Rollcoat/Coil||ETP||Exterior protection|
More about valPure® Acrylics
- Non-BPA*, V40 series
- Core-shell technology process
- Internationally patented technology
- No endocrine activity found
- Excellent application for two-piece beverage inside spray on a wide range of can making lines
- High performance non-BPA* solutions for Beverage Spray
- Broad beverage pack performance
- Balance of flexibility and pack performance for food D&I
Safety by Design
- Sherwin-Williams uses industry-leading standards and a Safety by Design framework modeled after the preclinical pharmaceutical safety evaluation process. This leads to food-packaging safety and global regulatory compliance. valPure Acrylics do not contain substances of very high concern1 and are not estrogenic.
Food Contact Notifications (FCNs)
- Effective US FDA Food Contact Notifications (FCNs) are the most modern approach to evaluating the safety of new food contact materials and are vital to their sustainability in the marketplace as the global regulatory environment for food and food packaging is dynamic. Sherwin-Williams is the global leader in effective FCNs for non-BPA technologies.
- Inventory of Effective FCNs available at: fda.gov
- (No. 1074, 1090, 1130)
- Materials are US FDA, China GB9685, Canada and EU compliant for food contact.2
- Coatings and their components are compliant with US TSCA, Canadian DSL, EU REACH and Asian chemical inventories.2
- Toxicological testing reviewed and accepted by international regulatory agencies.
- All materials meet the current requirements of Prop 65.
- All materials meet the requirements of CONEG (heavy metals).
- All materials do not contain phthalates.
- Not derived from materials that contain Bisphenol-A (BPA).
- The initial screen of the Safety by Design process included a review of the literature, computational modeling, quantitative structure–activity relationship (QSAR), and read-across for toxicity prediction.
- From this screen, a select few were chosen, based upon their predicted safety profiles, for further in-vitro polymer synthesis studies.
- Only the safest chemicals from the initial screen were chosen to develop valPure Acrylics.
For more information, contact us at registre@Sherwin.com
- Please contact Sherwin-Williams for product specific international regulatory approvals.
*Non-BPA - This designation indicates that the coating technology is based on polymeric components that are not derived from Bisphenol A.