valPure Polyester Coatings
Next-generation polyester coatings from Sherwin-Williams make use of a functionalized backbone for high-performance products.
As a technology and regulatory leader in the light metal packaging coatings market, Sherwin-Williams has developed different types of polyester-based coatings to meet the needs for customers in the food and beverage industry around the world.
The valPure V30 and V60 series polyesters provide good application, fabrication, retort capable and broad pack resistance for beverage ends, D&I food cans, three-piece food cans, closures, monobloc aerosol and bottle cans.
valPure polyester-based coating solutions for the following end uses:
|Segment||Coated Side||Chemistry||Color||Application||Substrate||Key Attributes|
|Beverage Ends||Interior / Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear||Coil||Aluminum||Superior resistance to tearing and the end-tab opening (feathering), low metal exposure and excellent corrosion resistance, particularly at vulnerable score-line areas|
|3 Pc Bodies & Ends||Interior||Solvent-based||Gold, Aluminum, White||Coil/Sheet||ETP/TFS||Recommended for soup, vegetables and fruit|
|3 Pc Bodies & Ends||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear, Gold||Coil/Sheet||ETP/TFS||Good scuff resistance, fabrication and double-seam performance|
||Excellent flexibility and product resistance|
|EZO Ends||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear||Coil/Sheet||ETP/TFS||Exterior protection|
|D&I Food Cans||Interior||Water-based||Gold, Gray||Spray||ETP||Excellent pack performance across fruit, vegetables, some soups and tomato-based products|
|D&I Food Cans||Washcoat||Solvent-based||Clear||Curtain Coater||ETP||Exterior protection|
|DRD Food Cans||Interior||Solvent-based||White, Aluminized||Coil/Sheet||Aluminum/ TFS||Excellent combination of flexibility, adhesion and corrosion performance|
|DRD Food Cans||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear, White, Gold, Various||Coil/Sheet||Aluminum/ TFS||Exterior protection|
|SSS - liquid||Interior||Solvent-based||Light Gold, Gold||Spray/ Roll Coat||ETP/TFS||Soups and vegetables excluding hard-to-hold|
|SSS - liquid||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear||Spray/ Roll Coat||ETP/TFS||Exterior protection|
|SSS- powder||Interior||Powder||Clear, Gray, White||Electrostatic Spray||ETP/TFS||All soups and vegetables including hard-to-hold|
|Closures||Interior||Solvent-based||Off White||Sheet||ETP/TFS||Good product resistance|
|Closures||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear, Gold, White||Sheet||ETP/TFS||Exterior protection|
|Collapsible Aluminum Tubes||Interior||Solvent-based||Gold||Spray||Aluminum||Retortable, has good acid resistance|
|Monobloc Aerosol Cans||Interior||Solvent-based||Gold||Spray||Aluminum||Good elasticity, retortable|
|Monobloc Aerosol Cans||Interior||Solvent-based||Clear||Spray||Aluminum||Good chemical resistance and rcommended for aggressive fillings and for DME containing propellants|
|Monobloc Bottle Cans||Interior||Solvent-based||Clear||Spray||Aluminum||Recommended for all diameter cans and is retortable|
More about valPure® Polyesters
- Non-BPA*, V30 & V60 series
- Functionalized backbone for high-performance products
- Non-endocrine active starting materials
- Good application, fabrication, retort capable and broad pack resistance for beverage ends, D&I food cans, monobloc aerosol cans
Safety by Design
- Sherwin-Williams uses industry-leading standards and a Safety by Design framework modeled after the preclinical pharmaceutical safety evaluation process. This leads to food-packaging safety and global regulatory compliance. valPure Polyesters do not contain substances of very high concern1 and are not estrogenic.
Food Contact Notifications (FCNs)
- Effective US FDA Food Contact Notifications (FCNs) are the most modern approach to evaluating the safety of new food contact materials and are vital to their sustainability in the marketplace as the global regulatory environment for food and food packaging is dynamic. Sherwin-Williams is the global leader in effective FCNs.
- Inventory of Effective FCNs available at fda.gov
- No. 1039, 1060, 1138, 1140, 1191, 1192, 1226, 1229, 1238, 1491)
- Materials are US FDA, China GB9685, Canada and EU compliant for food contact.2
- Coatings and their components are compliant with US TSCA, Canadian DSL, EU REACH and Asian chemical inventories.2
- Toxicological testing reviewed and accepted by international regulatory agencies.
- All materials meet the current requirements of Prop 65.
- All materials meet the requirements of CONEG (heavy metals).
- All materials do not contain phthalates.
- Not derived from materials that contain Bisphenol-A (BPA).
- The initial screen of the Safety by Design process included a review of the literature, computational modeling, Quantitative structure–activity relationship (QSAR) and read-across for toxicity prediction.
- From this screen, a select few were chosen, based upon their predicted safety profiles, for further in-vitro polymer synthesis studies.
- Only the safest chemicals from the initial screen were chosen to develop valPure Polyesters.
For more information, contact us at registre@Sherwin.com
- Please contact Sherwin-Williams for product specific international regulatory approvals.
*Non-BPA - This designation indicates that the coating technology is based on polymeric components that are not derived from Bisphenol A.