valPure® V70 non-BPA Epoxy Coatings
The new valPure V70 Series of non-BPA* epoxy technologies represents the future of epoxy coatings for light metal packaging.
valPure V70 offers the universality of epoxy coatings, food safety and preservation, while answering the need for choices in the market and delivering on consumer preference.
Epoxy is a widely used coating type with an enduring track record of performance, manufacturability and brand protection. Traditionally, epoxy coatings were based on BPA. Products in the valPure V70 Series, however, are based on an epoxy resin platform not made with BPA.
The valPure V70 Series goes through a more robust development and safety testing protocol than required by international regulatory agencies. The "Safety by Design" process used by Sherwin-Williams is a product development framework modeled after preclinical pharmaceutical safety evaluation. Safety by Design emphasizes food packaging safety, international regulatory compliance and provides unparalleled coating solutions with market longevity.
Products in the valPure V70 series provide can makers with a choice of coating solutions and provide consumers with products they can trust. The valPure V70 Series products are non-BPA solutions designed for epoxy-like performance across food, beverage and household product segments and are approved internationally.
valPure non-BPA epoxy-based coating solutions for the following end uses:
|Segment||Coated Side||Chemistry||Color||Application||Substrate||Key Attributes|
|Beverage Can Spray||Interior||Water-based||Clear||Spray||Aluminum||Interior spray for 2-piece aluminum cans. Applies and fabricates like the BPA containing epoxy-based counterpart.|
|Beverage Can Ends||Interior||Water-based||Clear||Coil||Aluminum||Superior resistance to feathering, low metal exposure, and excellent corrosion resistance. Applies and fabricates like the BPA containing epoxy-based counterpart.|
|D&I Food Cans||Interior||Water-based||Gold||Spray||ETP||
A water-based interior D&I food can spray with universal pack performance.
|DRD Food Exterior||Exterior||Solvent-based||Clear||Coil/Sheet||ETP/TFP||A solvent based exterior with excellent scratch resistance.|
More about valPure® NBPA Epoxy
- Non-BPA*, V70 Series, designed for epoxy-like performance
- Extensive testing demonstrates evidence for an absence of genotoxicity and endocrine1 activity.
- Globally relevant product offerings across many end use categories
- Broad application in beverage, food and general packaging end uses
- Thoroughly vetted starting materials
- Designed for use with existing equipment, processes and product knowledge
- valPure V70 production involves a type of bisphenol that is different from BPA and is eliminated by the end of the manufacturing process. This has been validated by independent tests showing no detection measuring down to 0.08 parts per billion (ppb).
- The valPure V70 Series went through a more robust development and safety testing protocol than required by national and international regulatory agencies.
Safety by Design
Sherwin-Williams uses industry-leading standards and a Safety by Design framework modeled after the preclinical pharmaceutical safety evaluation process. This leads to food-packaging safety and global regulatory compliance. valPure NBPA Epoxy does not contain substances of very high concern.2
Food Contact Notifications (FCNs)
- Effective US FDA Food Contact Notifications (FCNs) are the most modern approach to evaluating the safety of new food contact materials and are vital to their sustainability in the marketplace as the global regulatory environment for food and food packaging is dynamic. Sherwin-Williams is the global leader in effective FCNs for non-BPA technologies.
- Inventory of Effective FCNs available at: http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/packagingfcs/notifications/default.htm
- No. 1246, 1306, 1305, 1452, 1460, 1632
- Materials are US FDA, Canada and EU compliant for food contact.3
- Coating materials are covered by two positive ANSES opinions. Review each opinion by using the following link options3:
Link to both opinions on the French Anses website: Avis et rapports de l'Anses sur saisine | Anses - Agence nationale de sécurité sanitaire de l’alimentation, de l’environnement et du travail
Link to First ANSES 2016 Opinion document: Extrait d'AVIS de l'Anses relatif à l'innocuité pour la santé humaine du TMBPF (utilisé comme précurseur) et TMBPF-DGE (utilisé pour fabriquer une résine de type époxyde au contact des denrées alimentaires, en remplacement du BADGE), et le cas échéant à leurs impuretés, produits de dégradation et oligomères du TMBPF et TMBPF-DGE
Link to Second ANSES 2020 Opinion document: AVIS de l'Anses relatif à l'innocuité pour la santé humaine du TMBPF (utilisé comme précurseur) et TMBPF-DGE (utilisé pour fabriquer une résine de type époxyde au contact des denrées alimentaires, en remplacement du BADGE), et le cas échéant des impuretés, produits de dégradation et oligomères du TMBPF et TMBPF-DGE
- Coatings and their components are compliant with US TSCA, Canadian DSL, EU REACH.3
- Toxicological testing reviewed and accepted by international regulatory agencies.
- All materials meet the current requirements of Prop 65.
- All materials meet the requirements of CONEG (heavy metals).
- All materials do not contain phthalates.
- Not derived from materials that contain Bisphenol-A (BPA).
- The initial screen of the Safety by Design process included a review of the literature, computational modeling, Quantitative structure–activity relationship (QSAR), and read-across for toxicity prediction.
- From this screen, a select few were chosen, based upon their predicted safety profiles, for further in-vitro polymer synthesis studies.
- Only the safest chemicals were chosen from the initial screen to develop valPure NBPA Epoxy.
- Extensive testing demonstrates evidence for an absence of genotoxicity and endocrine activity.
- 3rd-party laboratory testing
Scientific Research Publications
- Study published in Environmental Science & Technology, "Evidence of absence: estrogenicity assessment of a new food-contact coating and the bisphenol used in its synthesis" Soto AM, Schaeberle C, Maier MS, Sonnenschein C, Maffini MV. (2017)"
- Food Packaging Forum published, "High throughput in vitro testing of BPA anlogues"
- Study published in PLoS One, "Characterizing properties of non-estrogenic substituted bisphenol analogs using high throughput microscopy and image analysis." Szafran AT, Stossi F, Mancini MG, Walker CL, Mancini MA. (2017).
- Food and Chemical Toxicology published, "An expanded toxicological profile of tetramethyl bispheno F (TMBPF), a precursor for a new food-contact metal packaging coating."Maffini MV, Canatsey RD. (2019)
For more information, contact us at email@example.com
- Endocrine activity: valPure V70 Series has been evaluated using several biological assays to determine potential effects on the human endocrine system.
- Please contact Sherwin-Williams for product-specific international regulatory approvals.
*Non-BPA - This designation indicates that the coating technology is based on polymeric components that are not derived from Bisphenol A.